Saturday, April 2, 2016

Ocean Baby Quilt

A playful ocean quilt for Allen Baby number three. I hope it is gender neutral enough because we are having a surprise baby and there is some degree of a chance we could finally have a girl this time around, right? With the beautiful sea jellies, anemones, eels, and squid I fell in love...


I fell in love with this bold collection of fabrics titled Into the Deep by Patty Sloniger for Michael Miller and quickly became paralyzed after purchasing the fabric. I needed a layout that showcased the jellies but would not be overwhelmingly busy either.

While contemplating a kimono inspired obi (sash/band) design I found a great online tutorial on curved piecing on Kitchen Table Quilting. After adding in the teal fabric to brighten up the very dark blue, and combining the two concepts, I had my simple, bold, bright, baby quilt design figured out.

What a relief! As always, I made so many mistakes and learned a great deal. Thankfully, my two toddlers agree that the new baby (due in early July) will love it. Now, I just have to wrap a mini nursery theme around this quilt and I'll be ready for the new arrival!

Ps. It turns out the fabric collection is not a bold one, but that our local fabric store had sold out of the calmer color designs! For a fantastic selection of pretty ocean themed fabrics (boy, girl, and neutral) check out the full collection at Michael Miller Fabrics or the Fabric.com online store.



No comments:

Post a Comment