Sunday, April 21, 2013

Bath Blocks for Baby!

 

Who shared the post for the idea of making bath stacking toys from sliced pool noodles - Denise? Cousin Cheryl? It was a fabulous idea, thank you!

I made a prototype set a few weeks ago and tested them out with Campbell:


Then I asked Simon to make me a guide tool for uniform cutting so I could make an even better set for my nephews and our friend's two little girls... The best husband ever made me this yesterday. AWESOME!
Today I chopped away and made both sets in a matter of minutes. Can't wait to give them away!


If anyone decides to make their own set - here is what I learned:
  1. Pool noodles are a choking hazard because babies can bite off perfect choke-sized pieces. Whole pool noodles are rated for age 5 and up. Although Campbell loves them, I probably have to put them away for a little while.
  2. For v1, the cuts were eye-balled, but the building possibilities are much greater with like-sized pieces. With v2 I went with 1.25in and 2.5in slices and a 30 degree angle for the arch piece. I now wonder if 6 pieces per arch is too difficult for kids - maybe 5 pieces would have been better?
  3. If you make a miter board, consider adding one more complementary angle cutting guide so that you can make two arch slices and then just slide the noodle down and cut again.



No comments:

Post a Comment